January 8, 2021
Dear BA Families:
Happy New Year! Our first semester ended with much success. So many of our students worked incredibly hard to end the semester positively. THEY ARE DEDICATED SCHOLARS! I pray for our students each week and am so grateful to partner with you and our staff as we celebrate their success.
We will be in our Hybrid Phase One learning model next week, and in person every day the last two weeks of January due to previously scheduled days off:
- Week Jan 11-15: Students in building Mon-Tues, Thurs-Fri. No class Wednesday-faculty available for student support. Friday, Jan 15 - Middle School Mass day.
- Monday, Jan 18: No School. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
- Tue, Jan 19-Fri, Jan 22: All students in person learning. Friday High School Mass
- Mon, Jan 25: No School - Teacher Workday
- Tues Jan 26-Fri, Jan 29: All students in person learning. Friday Middle School Mass
- FREE LUNCH: All BA students will receive Free Hot Lunch through April 30 due to our acceptance into a COVID relief program. An email (copy attached) regarding this was sent out earlier this week. Special thanks to our lunch program team who took the additional steps and to qualify BA for this program.
- FINANCIAL AID APPLICATIONS OPEN: An email (copy attached) was sent to families inviting you to apply for financial aid for 2021-2022. Please be sure to take advantage of our scholarship program. Early applications encouraged; the initial application deadline is February 20, 2021.
- MARCH FOR LIFE: This January 22 is the March for Life with the Diocese. Please see the information to sign up your scholar. Space is limited this year due to COVID protocols, please sign up by Tuesday, January 13 as this is a wonderful opportunity for our students to actively participate with others of their faith.
COVID Update: As of January 8, 2021, we have not had any additional Covid-19 cases where students have been in school. We do have 25 students distance learning due to personal requests, confirmed cases at home or exposure.
- Updated Student Symptom Screening form and Decision Tree - click on the links for updated information.
- All Illnesses: Please note, if your child is sick at any time, we do not plan to have them join online learning. We want to give them time to recover. Just notify the attendance line as you normally would. They will have time to make up assignments.
- BA Annual Fund: Our goal is to raise $250,000 by June 30, 2021. As of January 8 we are at $125,200 -Thank you! We have another $50,000 pledged bringing us to 70% of our goal. Remember, by making a larger donation in 2021, you may actually decrease your taxable income!
- BA Bash Raffle: Thank you for participating in our new, BA Bash Raffle. BA profited $12,400 from the raffle. Our budgeted goal was $10,000. Congratulations to our winners: 1stPrize: Joanne DeGrood; 2ndPrize: Jolene Mostrom; 3rdPrize: Pam Sartor
Thank you for your feedback on our winter survey. These results and your input is helping us reaffirm areas of strength and plan for areas for growth, not only for this year, but next year as well. We look forward to revised and additional classes, expanded spiritual activities and experiences, accelerated programming, community building events and additional student support. God is great! Keep praying for all that God has planned for your scholar and BA!
Mindy Reeder, President/Principal
Robotics Returns Monday, January 11
After a required pause, the Vex Robotics Club is ready to get back to action! Any grade 6-12 BA student interested in joining should plan to meet Mondays starting Jan 11 from 3-5pm in the BA library. No fees this year. If interested and not yet signed up, please bring a copy of the attached form to the Monday’s meeting. Contact Coach Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Home and School: Volunteers Needed!
Home and School - your parent organization! - is looking for new parent volunteers to lead this parent group so vital to our BA community. See attached letter for more information; contact Jane Hillesheim or Barb or Tammy in the office (507-334-3948) if you have any questions.
Shadow Days & Tours
Does your student have a friend interested in BA? Invite them to join them for a shadow day (classmates are encouraged to come together) or for a personal family tour. Sign up to shadow here; sign up for a family tour (offered Mon-Fri from 3-6pm) here. Mid-year transfers are welcome, and applications are now open for 2021-2022. Find more information on our admission page.
BA Angel Hot Lunch Fund
The lunch program still has over $1500 in negative hot lunch accounts. If you are able during this time of free hot lunches, please consider donating to help clear these accounts. If 30 BA families donated $50 each, we could bring current all accounts and help our families who are struggling during this pandemic. Drop a donation in an envelope marked “BA Angel Lunch Account Fund” in the front office; contact Tracy Meschke at email@example.com with any questions. Thank you!
Facemasks and BA Car Clings Available for Sale
We are now selling BA facemasks and car clings in the BA Front Office! Click here to see the facemask and here for the car clings. They are “sold out” in the school store because they are now available here at BA! Send in payment (cash or check to BA) with your order to Tammy in the front office or Email Tammy with any questions.
Semester 1 Report Cards
Semester 1 report cards were sent in a password-protected email earlier this week. Please contact us if you did not receive the report card or had difficulty with opening the report card.
Winter Sports has Begun!
The winter sports teams began practicing this week. The first games will take place at the end of next week. Seating capacity will be limited to 2 spectators per participant; some junior high venues may be more limited. Most games will be live-streamed. Visit our online school calendar or our sports website for schedules, including streaming links. Or, download the rST Activity Scheduler app to your smart phone to access schedules and streaming links. For coop sports schedules and streaming links, visit their online calendar or sports website.
Wanted: Spring Sports Coaches
We have the following spring sports coaching positions open: Head Baseball, Assistant Baseball, Middle School Baseball, Head Track & Field, Assistant Track & Field (# of assistants to be determined). If you or someone you know is interested please contact Athletic Director Ed Friesen at firstname.lastname@example.org. At this time, we believe the spring season will start late March or early April – a couple of weeks later than normal.
HIGH SCHOOL UPDATES
Faribo 4 Kids Thomas Laughlin Scholarship
Faribo 4 Kids is sponsoring the Thomas Laughlin scholarship opportunity. There are 2 scholarships, each worth $1500. A copy of the application form is attached. Applications must be postmarked by March 19, 2021. Seniors were sent this email Jan 6; more information can also be found through "Scholarships" on Naviance.
Allina Health Orthopedics Sports Medicine Scholarship
Allina Health Orthopedics will be offering two $2,500 scholarships, which will be awarded annually to one female and one male student athlete who intends to attend college to pursue a career in sports medicine. Deadline to apply is March 1, 2021. Contact Ms. Rogers for more information.
Steele-Waseca Electric Coop College Scholarship
Are you a Steele-Waseca Cooperative Electric customer who has a Class of 2021 scholar planning to continue his/her education full-time at a two- or four-year technical school or college? If so, please have your senior email Ms. Rogers to find out more about applying for a $500 scholarship. Eligible students will be asked to fill out a form detailing academics, school and community involvement, and submit a short essay on their future goals.
MIDDLE SCHOOL UPDATES
AIM Higher K-8 Scholarship
The Aim Higher Scholarship is a $1,000, student-based scholarship awarded to K-8 students from families with demonstrated need. This year's application deadline is February 20, 2021. Application is via the online TADS financial aid form found here. Find more information via the English flyer and the Spanish flyer.
DIVINE MERCY CATHOLIC CHURCH & SCHOOL UPDATES
March for Life Friday, January 22
As promoted to our high school students in religion class: high school and college students are invited to this day of prayer, inspiration, pro-life education and advocacy for the pre-born. Families are welcome and may register as a group. Cost is $25 per person; lunch and transportation provided by Divine Mercy Youth Ministry. Online registration by January 13 required. Click here to learn more. There will some phenomenal speakers, and the group will be marching from St. Agnes to the Capitol for the MCCL rally at the Capitol. Space is limited due to COVID transportation restrictions.
Middle School Edge/High School Youth Group
Middle School EDGE & High School Youth Group is open to all BA families. This is another great opportunity for your students to gather with others that want to grow in their faith and to enhance what they are learning in the classroom. Registration is required for both. Visit www.divinemercy.cc/faith-formation for more information.