Dear BA Families:
Blessed March and Lent! During this week of Lent with students back in school for 5 days, we reflected on prayer, service, and fasting. My challenge to our students was to speak positively as much as possible, leaving swear words out of their vocabulary. Theology students placed large banners of Saints representing all backgrounds around the school. We gathered for the Rosary and Mass this morning and our staff continues to reflect on "A Lenten Journey with Jesus Christ and St. Thomas Aquinas" during this season of Lent.
CELEBRATING VOCATIONS: Join me next week in honoring our sisters as part of National Catholic Sisters Week as well as our Priests. On Tuesday, March 9, we invite you to send a message, share a gift card, or just thank those that serve us at BA through their vocation.
THANK YOU FOR JOINING US FOR CONFERENCES! We love connecting with our parents to celebrate the progress and areas for growth of each BA scholar. Thank you for partnering with us along this educational journey.
BABS - DENIM & DIAMONDS, April 10, 2021: We are presently looking for amazing donations and sponsors for our Silent and Live Auction - please fill out the online form here to donate. Event tickets will be limited this year and Silent & Live Auction bidding will be both in person and online! We need your help to add to some of our baskets and auction items, please consider donating:
- Gas outdoor fireplace
- Wine, beer and/or your favorite mixers
- Gift Cards
- Vacation homes/destinations
- Sports or golfing outings
Schedule for the upcoming three weeks:
- March 8-12: Full in-person (no WIN Wednesday)
- Homework Club: Monday, Tuesday & Thursday 3-4 p.m.
- March 9: Celebrate our Sisters and our Priests with thanks!
- March 10: Prom Dress Down Day ($1; $2 for hats or leggings)
- March 11: Student of the Month, 7:30am
- March 12: Final course selection due in PowerSchool
- March 12: HS Mass / MS WIN - LAST DAY OF THE QUARTER
- March 12: Last day of Toiletry Drive; 6th grade spring football sign up and Senior Open Campus forms deadline (see below for more info)
- March 15-19: NO SCHOOL / SPRING BREAK
- 2021-2022 Enrollment-WIN a $200 Gift Card! Re-enroll and register for classes by April 1 to be eligible for a $200 Amazon Gift Card drawing! Please email Kris Sauer with questions.
- Class Registration: BA is expanding course offerings! Students need to register by MARCH 12 to ensure class options for next year. Some classes have size limits.
- 2021-22 TADS Financial Aid applications still open. We are still accepting applications for tuition assistance. Be sure to take advantage of our needs-based scholarship program and apply via TADS ASAP using this link: financial aid app.
- BA Annual Fund: Our goal is to raise $250,000 by June 30, 2021. As of March 4th we are at $231,478 - 92% of our goal. WE CHALLENGE ALL DONORS TO SHARE THEIR ANNUAL FUND GIFT - WE LOVE BA!
COVID UPDATES: At this time, we have no additional positive cases of school students and/or staff although some sports teams have had exposure. Any exposed school members are quarantined. All interested staff have received the vaccine and Rice County numbers are very low. We will continue to follow safety protocols including spacing, mask wearing, ventilation and cleaning. Plans for BA moving forward:
- Online Learners: You will be able to come to school prior or after school for support as well as WIN time on Friday mornings. We would love to have you come back to in-person learning as this last week of the quarter is critical. Please notify the office (507-334-3948) if you are able to join us in person.
- Spring Break Plans: If you are traveling over spring break, please be aware there is no quarantine requirement at this time for travel within the United States (If traveling internationally, see the CDC guidelines.) If upon return your student or anyone in your family is experiencing symptoms, we would ask that you quarantine. As a precaution, you may choose to distance learn for the first three days following spring break to ensure that you do not have symptoms. Please email me with any travel-related distance learning requests.
- Family vaccine connector: If you or anyone in your family is interested in receiving a vaccine, please sign up at the State of MN's Vaccine Connector, a tool that helps Minnesotans find out when, where, and how to get a COVID-19 vaccine. Fill out the form to sign up: https://mn.gov/covid19/vaccine/connector/
Mindy Reeder, President/Principal
Campus Ministry is leading the rosary every Friday during Lent. Please meet in Ms. Shimota's classroom Friday mornings at 7:40am. Rosaries and prayer sheets will be provided. Everyone is welcomed and encouraged to attend!
Toiletry Drive for St. Vincent de Paul Until March 12
Student Service Club and Student Council are hosting a toiletry drive for St. Vincent de Paul. Items will collected through Spring Break. Students donating items will be eligible for a dress down day pass drawing. Items needed include: shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.
Spring Break SCRIP Note
Scrip orders will NOT be processed the week of March 15 - March 19 due to Spring Break. Please plan your order for next week accordingly. If you have any questions please contact Peggy Johnson at email@example.com
Student Summer Work Sign Up By April 5
Our summer student work program is back! High School students (grades 9-12 in 2021-22) who apply and qualify for financial aid will have first priority; other interested students are encouraged to apply. Please call the BA office @ 334-3948 or email Barb Johnson @ firstname.lastname@example.org with the names of your interested students. Students are guaranteed 2 weeks and will work at both BA and DMCS under the direction of Head Custodian Steve Zabel. Hired students may be asked to work additional weeks. The hourly wage is $8.21 per hour. All student earnings will be credited to their tuition account. Requests for summer work must be submitted by Monday, April 5, 2021.
Face masks and BA Car Clings Available for Sale
We are now selling BA face masks and car clings in the BA Front Office! Click here for more information. Send in payment (cash or check made out to BA) with your order to Tammy in the front office or email Tammy with any questions.
HIGH SCHOOL UPDATES
SENIORS: Open Campus
Open campus for seniors in good standing will begin on Fridays starting Friday, March 26 through Friday, April 30. Daily open campus will begin Monday, May 3rd. Seniors may only leave campus during a scheduled lunch or study hall. Parent permission is required and students must sign in and out in the front office. Seniors were given open campus permission forms in homeroom today. A signed parent permission form must be turned in to the BA Front Office by Friday, March 12 in order for seniors to participate.
JUNIORS: April 17 ACT Sign Up Deadline is March 12
A reminder that the deadline to sign up for the April 17 ACT exam is Friday, March 12. Students can register for the test here. Contact Ms. Rogers with any questions.
Cannon River Driving School
Cannon River Driving School will conduct a driver's education class at BA after spring break. This class meets 10 times for 3 hours to meet the 30 hour requirement for classroom instruction. Classes will meet 3pm to 6pm March 22-26 and March 29-April 1 and 8:30am-11:30am on April 2. See attachments below fo registration form.
SENIORS: College Scholarship Opportunities
There are several national and local scholarships available with deadlines in March, including the Schulze Family Foundation Scholarship, Tri-Lakes Sportsman’s Club Scholarship, Faribo 4 Kids Thomas Laughlin Scholarship, Allina Health Orthopedics Sports Medicine Scholarship, and the Steele-Waseca Electric Coop College Scholarship. Have your students check the Scholarships section of Naviance (find video here; find Naviance information on our web page here) or email Ms. Rogers to find out more.
MIDDLE SCHOOL UPDATES
Spring Football for Grade 6: Sign up by March 12
Spring football is back and a team is being formed for students in grades 4-6. See attached flyer for more information and email Kevin Dokkestul at email@example.com by Friday, March 12 if interested.
DIVINE MERCY CATHOLIC CHURCH (DMCC) & SCHOOL (DMCS) UPDATES
SCRIP Note: Scrip orders will NOT be processed the week of March 15 - March 19 due to Spring Break. Please plan your order for next week accordingly. If you have any questions please contact Peggy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
DMCC Youth Ministry Events
High School Prolife Apologetics Night March 10, 7:15-8:30pm
Held in the DMCS Gym, high schoolers are invited to join Emily Albrecht from Equal Rights Institute to learn more about Prolife Apologetics.
High School Spring Break Mission Night, March 17, 6-9pm
Since we aren't able to physically go on a mission trip to Guatemala, we are bringing a little bit a Guatemala right here! Movie night, discussion, prayer and guest speakers. We will also talk about plan for future mission trips. Open to anyone in 8th grade on up. No registration required. Held in the Youth Room of the IC Basement.
More information and programs on the Divine Mercy Catholic Church High School Youth Ministry page at https://www.divinemercy.cc/high-school