Dear BA Families:
Happy Spring Break! I do pray that your family finds time to refresh and renew in body, mind and spirit this Lent and over our Spring Break. I know that our staff looks forward to this time. Over the last two weeks additional stress was added for both our staff and scholars due to new COVID cases, expanded quarantining and added online learning students. Thank you for shifting with us this Friday as we adapted to these changes in order to finish our 3rd quarter positively. I'm praying that when we return, we are all healthy and refreshed for our final quarter of the school year! Please see updates below for online learning changes.
BABS - DENIM & DIAMONDS, April 10, 2021: Your packets were mailed! Don't forget to order your raffle tickets here, consider a donation here, and plan to attend in-person or online to bid on all of our auction items. Check out our "BABS" webpage for all the details, including admissions and sponsors to date! .
We are also looking for these items for our auction:
- Gas outdoor fireplace
- Wine, beer and/or your favorite mixers
- Gift Cards
- Vacation homes/destinations
- Sports or golfing outings
Schedule for the upcoming three weeks:
- March 15-19: NO SCHOOL / SPRING BREAK
- March 23: Maintenance Worker Appreciation Day - send a card!
- March 24: High School Stations of the Cross
- March 31: HS & MS Reconciliation
- April 1: Enroll by today for $200 Amazon Gift Card drawing
- April 2: NO SCHOOL/Good Friday
- April 5: NO SCHOOL/Easter Monday
- April 5: Student Summer Worker deadline
- April 6: Red Cross Blood Drive @ BA
- April 10: BABS Denim & Diamonds, find info here
- Proud of MS Student - Owen Dotterweich for competing this week in the Regional Spelling Bee and representing BA!
- Congratulations to our students of the month! What an honor to hear how dedicated they are each month to one or more of the Dominican pillars of: Prayer, Study, Community and Service. Find the ceremony on our Facebook page here.
- Congratulations to senior Verity Wray-Raabolle! She was selected as a National Merit Finalist, one of only a few in the nation. We are proud of her dedication to excellence at BA! See the presentation here, and watch for a Facebook post honoring Verity's accomplishment after spring break.
- 2021-2022 Enrollment-WIN a $200 Gift Card! Re-enroll and register for classes by April 1 to be eligible for a $200 Amazon Gift Card drawing! Please email Kris Sauer with questions.
- Class Registration: BA is expanding course offerings! Students need to register by MARCH 12 to ensure class options for next year. Some classes have size limits.
- 2021-22 TADS Financial Aid applications still open. We are still accepting applications for tuition assistance. Be sure to take advantage of our needs-based scholarship program and apply via TADS by April 1 using this link: financial aid app. Applications received after this date will be put on a deferred list.
- BA Annual Fund: THANK YOU-what a blessing! We are at $242,238 - 97% of our goal of $250,000. Gifts to the annual fund can be sent through June 30, 2021 - perhaps we will surpass our goal thanks to prayers and support this year!
COVID UPDATES: At this time, we have 3 additional positive cases of school students and/or staff. Any confirmed or exposed school members are quarantined. All interested staff have received the vaccine. We will continue to follow safety protocols including spacing, mask wearing, ventilation and cleaning. Plans for BA moving forward:
- Online Learners: As we hopefully return to a more normal fourth quarter, please know that online learning is reserved for students quarantining and students with medical/health concerns. If you elected for online learning all year, you are able to continue although we do encourage you to return to in person class. All other reasons for online learning are no longer accepted including: online learning for athletes, vacations, and sick days. This was never the intent of online learning and has resulted in extra stress and academic concerns for both teachers and scholars.
- Spring Break Plans: If you are traveling over spring break, please follow the CDC guidelines. Upon return, if your student or anyone in your family is experiencing symptoms, we would ask that you quarantine. As a precaution, you may choose to quarantine for the first three days following spring break to ensure that you do not have symptoms. Please email with any travel-related distance learning requests.
- Family vaccine connector: If you or anyone in your family is interested in receiving a vaccine, please sign up at the State of MN's Vaccine Connector, a tool that helps Minnesotans find out when, where, and how to get a COVID-19 vaccine. Fill out the form to sign up here.
- COVID Tests recommended: The Minnesota High School League and Health Department is recommending testing for students, especially in sports where they have experienced increases. This is free and families may receive them at home. Click here to get your free test.
- Free Mental Health Resources available to Families: The Rice County Trauma Project has partnered with Advanced Trauma Consulting to create a short video series addressing grief, loss and pandemic trauma. You'll find the toolkit HERE.
Please pray for Ella Banon, younger sister to one of BA's 8th grade students, Barak Barner. Your prayers and support are asked for by the family; find Ella's GoFundMe page at this link. Ella Strong t-shirts may also be ordered here.
Mindy Reeder, President/Principal
Spring Break Volunteers Needed
Maintenance has 65 bags of salt that need to be moved to the boiler room and the Mother Samuel Building over spring break. If interested and able to help, please contact Steve Zabel. Service hours provided. Day/time flexible.
Friday Morning Student-led Rosary
Campus Ministry is leading the rosary every Friday during Lent. Please meet in Ms. Shimota's classroom Friday mornings at 7:40am. Rosaries and prayer sheets will be provided. Everyone is welcomed and encouraged to attend!
Spring Break SCRIP Note
Scrip orders will NOT be processed the week of March 15 - March 19 due to Spring Break. Please plan your order for next week accordingly. If you have any questions please contact Peggy Johnson at email@example.com
Student Summer Work Sign Up By April 5
Our summer student work program is back! High School students (grades 9-12 in 2021-22) who apply and qualify for financial aid will have first priority; other interested students are encouraged to apply. Please call the BA office @ 334-3948 or email Barb Johnson @ firstname.lastname@example.org with the names of your interested students. Students are guaranteed 2 weeks and will work at both BA and DMCS under the direction of Head Custodian Steve Zabel. Hired students may be asked to work additional weeks. The hourly wage is $8.21 per hour. All student earnings will be credited to their tuition account. Requests for summer work must be submitted by Monday, April 5, 2021.
Face masks and BA Car Clings Available for Sale
We are now selling BA face masks and car clings in the BA Front Office! Click here for more information. Send in payment (cash or check made out to BA) with your order to Tammy in the front office or email Tammy with any questions.
HIGH SCHOOL UPDATES
Junior & Senior Parents: After Prom Meeting March 23
Prom 2021 is on and all junior and senior parents are invited to an After Prom brainstorming session Tuesday, March 23rd at 6:30pm in the BA Cafeteria. Many hands make light work. Let's make Prom a memorable event in 2021! See parent email sent March 12 or contact Debbie Korman at 507-339-8059 with questions.
FREE ACT/SAT Practice Test & Prep Online
The weekend of March 20 and 21 the Princeton Review is offering a Free Practice ACT and Free Practice SAT, and Scores Back Strategy Session for MN students. They are offering a free practice ACT, SAT, and review session. If your student cannot attend the specific date and time next weekend sign up and your student will have 3 months to take a practice test.
PSEO/CIS/AP Meeting Video Links
If you missed the PSEO/CIS/AP Meeting hosted by Ms Rogers March 4th, find a recording here and on the BA Website in the Counselor's Corner. This video covers each of these pathways for students to earn college credits before graduation! Contact Ms. Rogers with any questions.
SENIORS: Open Campus
Open campus for seniors in good standing will begin on Fridays starting Friday, March 26 through Friday, April 30. Daily open campus will begin Monday, May 3rd. Seniors may only leave campus during a scheduled lunch or study hall. Parent permission is required and students must sign in and out in the front office. Permission forms must be turned in to the Front Office.
SENIORS: College Scholarship Opportunities
There are several national and local scholarships available with deadlines in March, including the Schulze Family Foundation Scholarship, Tri-Lakes Sportsman’s Club Scholarship, Faribo 4 Kids Thomas Laughlin Scholarship, Allina Health Orthopedics Sports Medicine Scholarship, and the Steele-Waseca Electric Coop College Scholarship. Have your students check the Scholarships section of Naviance (find video here; find Naviance information on our web page here) or email Ms. Rogers to find out more.
MIDDLE SCHOOL UPDATES
DIVINE MERCY CATHOLIC CHURCH (DMCC) & SCHOOL (DMCS) UPDATES
SCRIP Note: Scrip orders will NOT be processed the week of March 15 - March 19 due to Spring Break. Please plan your order for next week accordingly. If you have any questions please contact Peggy Johnson at email@example.com
DMCC Youth Ministry Events
High School Spring Break Mission Night, March 17, 6-9pm
Since we aren't able to physically go on a mission trip to Guatemala, we are bringing a little bit a Guatemala right here! Movie night, discussion, prayer and guest speakers. We will also talk about plan for future mission trips. Open to anyone in 8th grade on up. No registration required. Held in the Youth Room of the IC Basement.
More information and programs on the Divine Mercy Catholic Church High School Youth Ministry page at https://www.divinemercy.cc/high-school
Faribault Youth Baseball Traveling League Sign Up
Youth baseball traveling leagues are forming now! Practices begin early April. Registration open to March 15. Register at faribaultbaseball.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.