Category : August 2020
Dear BA Families:
Governor Tim Walz shared a new algorithm with our State Thursday for considerations in reopening schools this fall. In addition, Catholic schools met with the Diocese Friday to review this information and how it impacts the variables within each school and for Bethlehem Academy. On Monday and Tuesday, BA leadership will meet with the BA Board and our Staff to finalize plans. We look forward to sharing our plan with families in next “Friday Focus for Families” newsletter.
Where are we at in our time frame to share final plans with students and families?
- August 3 & 4: District Meeting, BA Board, Leadership and Staff meetings to review final fall plans
- August 7: Parent and student communication regarding fall plans through “Friday Focus for Families” newsletter and links on our website and social media accounts
- August 10-14: Bring in student leadership to review plans and assist with orientation
- Greenhouse - We’re building! Drive by to see the progress and development of our new greenhouse. What a joy to expand our educational excellence in our agricultural program.
- High School STEM Solar Grant Pilot Program - BA is one of a few select MN high schools chosen to be a part of Minnesota Independent Schools Forum STEM Community Partnership with We Share Solar. Our high school will be receiving materials and curriculum to implement a new STEM project utilizing solar power. Not only will this be built into our curriculum across high school subjects, but students will build a solar powered item to support communities in need in Africa. Our staff will receive training this fall for implementation later this year.
- Positivity Project Pilot Program for Middle School - BA was also awarded a middle school grant to pilot a new Positivity Project curriculum. This program will be implemented into our religion classes and focuses on developing young minds and hearts. Our staff attended an initial meeting to review this week.
- Senior Student Webpage & Links: Seniors, be sure to check out our college planning webpage for information, links and scholarships to assist you as you continue your personal journey following graduation!
- Donation Updates: Did you want to support BA during the summer with a gift or a memorial? Online gifts accepted at this link.
- Summer Fundraisers: What amazing, generous group of SMART Challenge Riders we have! They are off biking on their second day of the challenge and we are so thankful to them. It’s not too late to sponsor them!. In addition, you can still join us for golf! Register for our August 7 Cardinal Golf Classic, at the link below.
Continue to pray for our school, DMCS, and our parish as we plan for this fall to bring our students and staff back together in prayer, study, community and service.
Blessings, Mindy Reeder
Summer Office Hours
The front office is open Monday-Thursday from 9am to 1pm through August 20. The office is closed on Fridays. Regular office hours resume Monday, August 24.
SUPPORT OUR SUMMER EVENTS!
SMART Ride through August 1
Our 12 riders took off on Day 1 of the ride Thursday and have been blessed with good roads and great weather. Follow updates on Facebook and find rider profiles and sponsor your favorite rider(s) here.
Friday, August 7 @ The Legacy: Register TODAY!
Today, July 31, is the last day to register for this fun golf tournament! Just $100/golfer includes 18 holes, awards dinner, gift and on-course games. Sign up online here.
Wanted: Facemasks & Sanitizer!
We are developing a parent wish list for COVID-19 related items. At this time, we are asking anyone who has the time/interest/supplies to please make and donate cloth facemasks. While we have a supply of disposable facemasks on hand, and will provide a Cardinal facemask for every student and staff, we know we will need extra masks as the year progresses. Completed masks can be dropped off at the BA Office during regular business hours. In addition, we anticipate going through a lot of hand sanitizer, donations being accepted. Thank you!
From the Nurse’s Office
Students entering 7th grade this fall: Please make sure that you have had your tetanus booster and 1st meningitis shot before the start of school in the fall. Reminder letters will be sent out.
Students entering 12th grade this fall: The meningitis booster requirements for this fall has been postponed because of Covid 19. Many have already had their booster shot. If you are seeing your doctor for any reason, you can still have this immunization but it is not necessary before the start of school in fall.
HIGH SCHOOL UPDATES
Class of 2021: Faribault Rotary Strive Program
Faribault Rotary’s introductory Strive session was held June 10, but they would like more students involved! Meetings will be held on the second Wednesday of the month through January. Because of the unique circumstances, students may watch a recorded version of this session and it will count as them attending it live. A link to the video that discusses Strive and how to register for the program is at: https://youtu.be/fT6jH6etMYU See June 18 email for more information; contact Kurt Halvorsen at Faribaultrotarystrive@gmail.com with questions.
Class of 2021: Army ROTC Scholarship Program
The Army ROTC scholarship application is currently open. Students who complete the application can earn a full tuition and fee scholarship to more than 1,700 colleges nationwide. Some colleges are unique in that they will give free room and board to Army ROTC scholarship awardees. The first scholarship review board meets in October, so it is vital that those who desire to apply start now so they have enough time to complete the online application and ensure all other requirements; physical fitness test, transcript requested / submitted, and Officer interview. Interested seniors should contact Mr. Todd Frerichs
Class of 2021 & 2022: 1st United Bank Board of Directors
1st United Bank has an exciting opportunity for students in Faribault and surrounding communities. They are accepting applications for our 2020-2021 Junior Board of Directors. Eligible applicants include Juniors and Seniors in High School for the 2020-2021 school year. Individuals should possess an enthusiastic approach to community involvement, and an interest in business, banking or finance. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
MIDDLE SCHOOL UPDATES
Aim Higher Scholarships
The Aim Higher Foundation has announced expanded scholarship opportunities for K-8 students this summer. New applicants are encouraged to apply via the TADS financial aid application, and students whose family situation due to COVID-19 are encouraged to update their spring application. See the attached flyer for more information on how to apply, or go to https://aimhigherfoundation.org/ to find out more. Application deadline is August 7.
DATES TO REMEMBER
(click on hyperlink for more information)
|8/7||Cardinal Golf Classic|
|8/7||BA Reopen Plans announced|
|8/13||BA Fall Sports Meeting|
|8/17||HS Fall Sports Open|
|8/24||MS Fall Sports Open|
|8/27||BA & DMCC Blood Drive, 8am-2pm|
|9/1||First Day of School!|