August 21, 2020
Dear BA Families:
Thank you for sending us your questions and joining us for the live session this week. I do wish I we could gather in our beautiful gymnasium to connect more personally, but I am so thankful for your partnership, your support, and your prayers as we begin our year focused on our mission: “To love as Jesus Christ loved, to lead, to serve, to inspire, and to seek the truth: Veritas.” If you weren’t able to attend, you can view the 50-minute view on our website here.
BACK-TO-SCHOOL PACKET: You should have received your “Back-to-School” packet in the mail. In the packet you will find traditional student information as well as a COVID Addendum to the Student Policy Handbook for students and families to review along with an updated school calendar and supply list. Every student and parent/guardian MUST submit the Student Handbook and Technology e-form found at this link: https://forms.gle/ERSwhn9ynekfCTQC7.
Additional communication and upcoming events:
WELCOME WEEK! Special events planned for each day honoring social distancing.
- August 31: StudentOrientation Day - 6-12th Grade (9-11:30 a.m.) - Students will meet only in homerooms / online students will connect virtually. HEALTH CHECK AT HOME! Please take your student(s) temperature and check for symptoms found here: Health Screening/Symptoms List
- September 1: First day of school, doors unlocked at 7:30 a.m. HEALTH CHECK AT HOME! Please take your student(s) temperature and check for symptoms found here: Health Screening/Symptoms List
- September 2: High School Orientation for 9th Grade Students and Parents - 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- September 4: School IS in session this Friday before Labor Day
- September 4: Mass Day, High School
- September 7:No School, Labor Day
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING NEW? Join the BA Team as a substitute teacher. We love our subs and will be looking to add to our team. Please email Lisa Moonto get your substitute packet completed. Requirements: Must have a college degree, pass our background check, and attend Virtus training.
We ask for your continued prayer for our school, DMCS, and our parish, as we finalize and implement plans for this fall to bring our students and staff back together in prayer, study, community and service.
Mindy Reeder, President/Principal
Workshop Week Office Hours
The BA Front Office will have the following hours next week for Workshop Week. Email Barb Johnson with questions.
- Monday, August 24: 8:00am-3:00pm
- Tuesday, August 25: 1:00pm-3:00pm
- Wednesday: CLOSED so staff can attend workshop sessions
- Thursday, August 26: 1:00-3:00pm
- Friday, August 27: 8:00am-1:00pm
9th Grade Families: Save the Date: September 2!
Incoming freshmen and parents - we are hosting a mandatory High School Orientation for all incoming 9th graders and their parents. Mark Wednesday, September 2 from 6-7:30pm on your calendars and plan to join us. More details coming soon!
Summer Reading Assignments, Grades 6-12
Students in grades 6-12 have an assigned book to read over the summer. Find your student(s) summer reading assignment on our website under Academics here.
Robotics Program Update
Due to COVID-19, we are putting Robotics for both middle and high school teams on hold until the end of September, at which point a decision will be made to either extend or relax that hold. Because competitions are not likely to happen this year, we will be doing Robotics only as an internal activity without offsite competition. Also, because we are not competing, Robotics won't be charging a fee for the 2020-2021 season. Mr. Robinson is very excited to start up the Robotics program once it is safe and responsible to meet. All students, grades 6-12 can join. If you are interested in participating, please contact email@example.com.
HS Math Students: TI Calculators
The high school math department has a limited number of TI calculators available for students to rent for the year. Please contactMrs. Jandro if you are interested in this program.
Wanted: Face Masks & Sanitizer!
We are developing a parent wish list for COVID-19 related items. At this time, we are asking anyone who has the time/interest/supplies to please make and donate cloth face masks. While we have a supply of disposable facemasks on hand, and will provide a Cardinal facemask for every student and staff, we know we will need extra masks as the year progresses. Completed masks can be dropped off at the BA Office during regular business hours. In addition, we anticipate going through a lot of hand sanitizer, donations being accepted. Thank you!
From the Nurse’s Office
- Health Conditions: Due to screening for COVID, please be sure the school nurse, Mary Herzog, is aware of any existing health conditions for your child, including allergies, asthma, diabetes or other diagnosed conditions.
- Students entering 7th grade this fall: Please make sure that you have had your tetanus booster and 1st meningitis shot before the start of school in the fall. Reminder letters will be sent out.
- Students entering12th grade this fall:The meningitis booster requirements for this fall has been postponed because of Covid 19. Many have already had their booster shot. If you are seeing your doctor for any reason, you can still have this immunization but it is not necessary before the start of school in fall.
Red Cross Blood Drive August 27
Bethlehem Academy is hosting a Red Cross blood drive 8am-2pm at Divine Mercy Catholic Church Thursday, August 27. Please call 1-800-733-2767 or visit www.RedCrossBlood.org and enter Bethlehem Academy to schedule an appointment. Amazon is donating a $5 gift card via email to all participants!
If you shop at Amazon, consider ordering through Amazon Smiles and raise money for Bethlehem Academy! Go tosmile.amazon.com, choose Faribault B A Inc. as your non-profit organization (include a space between the B and the A), and start shopping. BA automatically gets a donation for every purchase you make. It works with Amazon Prime and you can use Scrip to pay for your purchases.
HIGH SCHOOL UPDATES/JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Hometown Credit Union: Part-Time Teller Wanted
Hometown Credit Union is looking to hire a high-school student for a part-time teller opening in our Faribault office. The ideal candidate would be a sophomore or junior that is not involved in after-school extracurriculars. They would work most days after school until 6 and some Saturday mornings. Please contact Kurt Halverson at 507-455-6726 or KHalverson@hometowncu.coop if interested.
DMCS After Program Care Assistant
Divine Mercy Catholic School is looking for a 10th-12th grade student who is willing to work in our After Care program Monday-Friday 3:00-5:30 pm. Must enjoy younger children and be reliable. This is a paid position. Please send a letter of interest to Gina Ashley at Divine Mercy Catholic School (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Class of 2021 & 2022: 1st United Bank Board of Directors
1st United Bank has an exciting opportunity for high school students in Faribault. They are accepting applications for their 2020-2021 Junior Board of Directors. Eligible applicants include Juniors and Seniors in high school for the 2020-2021 school year. Individuals should possess an enthusiastic approach to community involvement, and an interest in business, banking or finance. Application deadline: August 28.
DIVINE MERCY CATHOLIC CHURCH UPDATES
Fall Faith Formation Registration is OPEN!
BA students that would like to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation need to sign up for Divine Mercy’s Confirmation program in order to meet the requirements. Divine Mercy’s confirmation program consists of a combination of large group presentations, small group discussion, service in our parish, and hands-on experiences with our Catholic faith. Confirmation is about taking the knowledge the students have learned, moving that information to the heart, and learning how to nurture a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Community is an essential part of our faith and we grow in relationship through each other. This is why we bring all the students together, regardless of where they are enrolled in school, to meet the requirements of confirmation. Confirmation is for students in 8th grade and older. Students who have already been confirmed are always welcome to join us as student leaders. Registration is required but there is no cost.
Middle School Edge/High School Youth Group
Middle School EDGE & High School Youth Group is open to all BA families. This is another great opportunity for your students to gather with others that want to grow in their faith and to enhance what they are learning in the classroom. Registration is required for both.
Visit www.divinemercy.cc/faith-formation for more information, class schedules and registration link.
SpiritFest September 19!
Dear BA Families:
Our school building is buzzing with final preparations for our return to campus. Along with the traditional preparations, our staff is also redesigning the classroom environment to include the new health and safety protocols for this fall. From spaced desks to plexi partitions and hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the building, these safety measures will allow us to engage with our student body through in-person learning. Please take time to review our “Return to Campus Guide” and our “BA Pandemic Preparedness Plan” on our school COVID Response webpage found by clicking here. In addition to these documents, you will find links to other important resources. We will continue to update this webpage throughout the year and keep you informed.
BACK-TO-SCHOOL PACKET: Please look for your “Back-to-School” packet to arrive early next week. In the packet you will find traditional student information as well as a COVID Addendum to the Student Policy Handbook for students and families to review along with an updated school calendar and supply list. Every student and parent/guardian MUST submit the Student Handbook and Technology e-form found at this link: https://forms.gle/ERSwhn9ynekfCTQC7.
First Q&A VIDEO / PARENT LIVE Q&A SESSION AUGUST 18: Thank you for sending us your questions! Check out our first Q&A video discussing face coverings, orientation and classroom setup here. Next week we are inviting you to join us for a live, online parent Q&A session. See info below to join us Tuesday, August 18 beginning at 6:15 p.m.
Additional communication and upcoming events:
- August 14: Back-To-School mailing sent.
- August 18: Parent Live Question & Answer Session, login at: meet.google.com/ukt-rpdi-ivo or by Phone Number (â
Dear BA Families:
Governor Tim Walz shared a new algorithm with our State Thursday for considerations in reopening schools this fall. In addition, Catholic schools met with the Diocese Friday to review this information and how it impacts the variables within each school and for Bethlehem Academy. On Monday and Tuesday, BA leadership will meet with the BA Board and our Staff to finalize plans. We look forward to sharing our plan with families in next “Friday Focus for Families” newsletter.
Where are we at in our time frame to share final plans with students and families?
- August 3 & 4: District Meeting, BA Board, Leadership and Staff meetings to review final fall plans
- August 7: Parent and student communication regarding fall plans through “Friday Focus for Families” newsletter and links on our website and social media accounts
- August 10-14: Bring in student leadership to review plans and assist with orientation
- Greenhouse - We’re building! Drive by to see the progress and development of our new greenhouse. What a joy to expand our educational excellence in our agricultural program.
- High School STEM Solar Grant Pilot Program - BA is one of a few select MN high schools chosen to be a part of Minnesota Independent Schools Forum STEM Community Partnership with We Share Solar. Our high school will be receiving materials and curriculum to implement a new STEM project utilizing solar power. Not only will this be built into our curriculum across high school subjects, but students will build a solar powered item to support communities in need in Africa. Our staff will receive training this fall for implementation later this year.
- Positivity Project Pilot Program for Middle School - BA was also awarded a middle school grant to pilot a new Positivity Project curriculum. This program will be implemented into our religion classes and focuses on developing young minds and hearts. Our staff attended an initial meeting to review this week.
- Senior Student Webpage & Links: Seniors, be sure to check out our college planning webpage for information, links and scholarships to assist you as you continue your personal journey following graduation!
- Donation Updates: Did you want to support BA during the summer with a gift or a memorial? Online gifts accepted at this link.
- Summer Fundraisers: What amazing, generous group of SMART Challenge Riders we have! They are off biking on their second day of the challenge and we are so thankful to them. It’s not too late to sponsor them!. In addition, you can still join us for golf! Register for our August 7 Cardinal Golf Classic, at the link below.
Continue to pray for our school, DMCS, and our parish as we plan for this fall to bring our students and staff back together in prayer, study, community and service.
Blessings, Mindy Reeder
Summer Office Hours
The front office is open Monday-Thursday from 9am to 1pm through August 20. The office is closed on Fridays. Regular office hours resume Monday, August 24.
SUPPORT OUR SUMMER EVENTS!
SMART Ride through August 1
Our 12 riders took off on Day 1 of the ride Thursday and have been blessed with good roads and great weather. Follow updates on Facebook and find rider profiles and sponsor your favorite rider(s) here.
Friday, August 7 @ The Legacy: Register TODAY!
Today, July 31, is the last day to register for this fun golf tournament! Just $100/golfer includes 18 holes, awards dinner, gift and on-course games. Sign up online here.
Wanted: Facemasks & Sanitizer!
We are developing a parent wish list for COVID-19 related items. At this time, we are asking anyone who has the time/interest/supplies to please make and donate cloth facemasks. While we have a supply of disposable facemasks on hand, and will provide a Cardinal facemask for every student and staff, we know we will need extra masks as the year progresses. Completed masks can be dropped off at the BA Office during regular business hours. In addition, we anticipate going through a lot of hand sanitizer, donations being accepted. Thank you!
From the Nurse’s Office
Students entering 7th grade this fall: Please make sure that you have had your tetanus booster and 1st meningitis shot before the start of school in the fall. Reminder letters will be sent out.
Students entering 12th grade this fall: The meningitis booster requirements for this fall has been postponed because of Covid 19. Many have already had their booster shot. If you are seeing your doctor for any reason, you can still have this immunization but it is not necessary before the start of school in fall.
HIGH SCHOOL UPDATES
Class of 2021: Faribault Rotary Strive Program
Faribault Rotary’s introductory Strive session was held June 10, but they would like more students involved! Meetings will be held on the second Wednesday of the month through January. Because of the unique circumstances, students may watch a recorded version of this session and it will count as them attending it live. A link to the video that discusses Strive and how to register for the program is at: https://youtu.be/fT6jH6etMYU See June 18 email for more information; contact Kurt Halvorsen at Faribaultrotarystrive@gmail.com with questions.
Class of 2021: Army ROTC Scholarship Program
The Army ROTC scholarship application is currently open. Students who complete the application can earn a full tuition and fee scholarship to more than 1,700 colleges nationwide. Some colleges are unique in that they will give free room and board to Army ROTC scholarship awardees. The first scholarship review board meets in October, so it is vital that those who desire to apply start now so they have enough time to complete the online application and ensure all other requirements; physical fitness test, transcript requested / submitted, and Officer interview. Interested seniors should contact Mr. Todd Frerichs
Class of 2021 & 2022: 1st United Bank Board of Directors
1st United Bank has an exciting opportunity for students in Faribault and surrounding communities. They are accepting applications for our 2020-2021 Junior Board of Directors. Eligible applicants include Juniors and Seniors in High School for the 2020-2021 school year. Individuals should possess an enthusiastic approach to community involvement, and an interest in business, banking or finance. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
MIDDLE SCHOOL UPDATES
Aim Higher Scholarships
The Aim Higher Foundation has announced expanded scholarship opportunities for K-8 students this summer. New applicants are encouraged to apply via the TADS financial aid application, and students whose family situation due to COVID-19 are encouraged to update their spring application. See the attached flyer for more information on how to apply, or go to https://aimhigherfoundation.org/ to find out more. Application deadline is August 7.
DATES TO REMEMBER
(click on hyperlink for more information)
7/30-8/1 SMART Ride 8/7 Cardinal Golf Classic 8/7 BA Reopen Plans announced 8/13 BA Fall Sports Meeting 8/17 HS Fall Sports Open 8/24 MS Fall Sports Open 8/27 BA & DMCC Blood Drive, 8am-2pm 8/31 Orientation 9/1 First Day of School!